Datafeedr Support Forums  

Go Back   Datafeedr Support Forums > Current Version (V3) Forum > Feature Requests
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Important - The support forums are now in "read-only" mode as we transition to an alternative help desk solution. Feel free to contact us here with any of your questions or search the forums for an existing solution.

Old November 15th, 2011, 04:54 AM

Default Include product name in image file name

It would be great if it was possible to include the product name in the file name of images...

I have noticed that for sites where my domain name is a keyword I rank well in the images on Google as well...

So I think if the image file names included the product name (and a number to make it unique) it would be possible to gain many more image rankings on sites where the domain name is not a keyword...

Anders

Easy-Email - Access ALL your email accounts with one login & synchronize automatically on all your computers.
Old November 15th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Datafeedr Team

If you use image url cloaking (ie. you don't store images locally), this is already possible by modifying your URL settings.
Old November 16th, 2011, 05:35 AM

Hi Eric,

That sounds great - will give it a whirl!

So far I have preferred to store the images locally for performance reasons... especially now that I have set up wordpress with a content delivery network...

Thanks for the suggestion!

Anders

Easy-Email - Access ALL your email accounts with one login & synchronize automatically on all your computers.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 11:39 AM

Hi Eric,

Now I've had a chance to look at this...

Basically cloacking introduces an extra hop by doing a redirect (of course, that's what cloaking does).

I found that by not storing the images locally another 1 - 2 seconds are added to the response time (obviously depends on the merchant).

Best performance is if I store the images locally and use link cloaking at the same time...

I guess the ideal solution would be to be able to specify the file name for images on the same form at the link cloaking options... this would give the best performance and best ranking...

The image names are important for ranking in the image section of google... I get a fair bit of traffic out of that...

The big question then is if Google will actually index the cloaked link or go through the redirect and index the target url. Do you have any idea of what to expect on that?

I'll obviously test it but it might be a while before I see the results :-)

Thanks for the tips to get me going in the right direction...

Old December 2nd, 2011, 03:03 PM
Datafeedr Team

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayorofrance View Post
The big question then is if Google will actually index the cloaked link or go through the redirect and index the target url. Do you have any idea of what to expect on that?
Sorry, I don't know.

Eric
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:07 AM

Update: The images are now indexed by Google. A quick site: search in the image section gives a good result.

Best combination seems to be to store images locally and use image cloaking.

Interestingly enough... if image cloaking is not enabled Google still indexes your images... but sends the traffic directly to your merchant... even if you store the images locally... or so it seems at least...

There is still a performance penalty with the image cloacking, so being able to add product name to the local image file would be the optimal solution - if that is possible at all :-)

Merry x-mas everyone...

Old December 25th, 2011, 08:43 PM

Had to turn off image cloaking again...

Response time with image cloaking on a 48 product page: 56 seconds.

Without cloacking (with a CDN): 3 seconds...

So being able to set the file name would be a fantastic idea :-)

Cheers,

Anders