View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:41 AM

In each email I received each day .. besides the link to the list of crawl errors, they refer to this page:
http://support.google.com/webmasters...answer=2409439

Quote:
Dealing with Not Found errors

Generally, 404 errors donít impact your siteís ranking in Google, and you can safely ignore them. Typically, they are caused by typos, misconfigurations (for example, for links that are automatically generated by a content management system) or by Googleís increased efforts to recognize and crawl links in embedded content such as JavaScript.

To see where invalid links are coming from, click the URL. In the error dialog, click the Linked from these pages tab.

If the links are coming from your own site, fix or delete them.

etc/etc/etc

When to return a 404 status code

If youíre getting rid of that content entirely and donít have anything on your site that would fill the same user need, then the old URL should return a 404 or 410. Currently Google treats 410s (Gone) the same as 404s (Not found).

Returning a code other than 404 or 410 for a non-existent page (or redirecting users to another page, such as the homepage, instead of returning a 404) can be problematic. Such pages are called soft 404s, and can be confusing to both users and search engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Hi,

I guess that seems normal to me. As products disappear from your store (as they will) your 404 pages will increase.

How does Google say to handle these errors?

Eric