View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2011, 04:13 PM

Hi Eric,

This is a massive time saver - thank you sooo much for writing this up....

I have just converted my 115 sub-categories to a filter... 30 mins work instead of 5 hours of brainlessly clicking 'New Category' - brilliant :-)

A couple of questions:

I prefer to have category pages still for the main categories... this allows me show descriptions for each brand, which helps with SEO... However all my sub-categories will be converted to filters...

1. In my store I will end up with around 100 filters, which are brand specific. Do you recommend that I create one filter widget per brand and add 100 widgets to the side bar or would it make better sense to have a huge chunk of code in one master brand filter widget, which populates a drop down box depending on which category is active?

2. I think there is an issue with filter keys of less than 4 characters, so your Sky brand filter will not work unless you can tweak the MySQL .ini file - which you can't on shared hosting... Do you have any ideas on how to get around this?

3. Is it possible to use AND and OR on the word filter? For instance for one filter I have two possible ways of spelling the keyword, but I would like both keywords to be in the same filter. This would also allow you potentially to build out your example above with a second level 'Model' filter, so you could first select 'Ray Ban' then afterwards 'Wayfarer' to narrow down the model within the brand.

In case anyone is interested this is the code I use to create a drop down box instead of a list:
Code:
<form method="get">
  <select name="word" onchange='this.form.submit()'>

<option value="Option 1"<?php if (@$_GET['word']=='Option 1') {echo ' selected="selected"';}?>>Option 1</option>
    <option value="Option 2"<?php if (@$_GET['word']=='Option 2') {echo ' selected="selected"';}?>>Option 2</option>

</select>
  <input type="submit" value="Go" class="dfsbmt" />
</form>

<?php if (@$_GET['word']) { ?>
  <p><a href="[server.url type='fullpage' query='-word']">[X] Remove Filter</a></p>
<?php } ?>

Easy-Email - Access ALL your email accounts with one login & synchronize automatically on all your computers.